Thursday, December 15, 2005

Gimme What?

Last spring I found myself trying to explain my email address to a classmate that needed to email me some notes for a project. “LJW” for my initials, “PSCI” because it originally was supposed to be just a dumping ground for crap from my poli sci instructor, and “1228” for my birthdate. All that at hotmail. Halfway through explaining my email address, I saw his face glaze over as though my torrent of words had numbed his brain. He left without it. C’est ca.

The problem is, we tend to choose email addresses that make sense to us, but make absolutely no sense to anyone else. For instance, my editor at the Bay Window uses her zip code after her name. Great for her, because she obviously is familiar with her zip code. However, I’m never going to remember it because I don’t live in Holland! Or how about an old boyfriend who used the number from the Fahrenheit book after some nickname of his. I can’t remember his nickname to save my life (although I know what I would call him) and the only number any Americans associate with Fahrenheit now is “911” thanks to Michael Moore. Yesterday I sent five emails to a colleague because each time she told me something different but every one came back undeliverable. Even she can’t remember her email address! Now that’s sad.

Wouldn’t life be interesting if we could choose email addresses for other people? We could choose email addresses that either embody what we think of them or we could cleverly hide our secret resentments within couched terms of good will. Like waytoohappy@home.com or findingyourselfistakingtoolong@wackedout.net. You know…fun stuff like that.

But until that day comes when we can choose emails for other people, we are going to have to live with the drivel they come up with themselves. Which makes my email address completely drivelishous! Yum!

7 comments:

shortensweet525 said...

you are odd.

bunnyjo georg said...

You just say that because you wish you had thought to write about this first. Jealous.

DCveR said...

Call me old fashioned, but I still use e-mail addresses with either my name or my nicks. Oh, your old boyfriend number was 451, that is easy, one of the best sci-fi stories ever. :P

Im so angry, Im so at ease said...

totally get your idea here bunny; what if I could send e-mail like I stor numbers on my cell phone; fucked up artist guy from friday, miss-behavin, toofuckedupdate, and stuff and it actually reached them in the same manner that my cellphone reaches people... That would be grand as I only needed to remember people by my own tags and not by thir address or last name or some weird thing they like to call themselves...

bunnyjo georg said...

Exactly! Ah, vindication at last. The fact that ISAISE is the one who gets me....delishous. ;)

DCveR said...

Easy, just use your own tags with outlook or whatever you use for e-mail addresses, sync it with a PDA, carry the PDA around.
There are cheap PDAs, you don't need something high end to use as an address book and agenda.

bunnyjo georg said...

I agree with DCvR, the best way to exchange email addresses is to beam them to and from each other using PDAs. That way we don't even have to mess with explaining the unexplainable. Interestingly, I used to use my firstname and maidenname for my email address. It was just too boring. At one point I also had anyth1nkgoes@yahoo.com, but thought it was too pretentious. Now I've got bunnyjo1228@netzero...not much better. I suck in the email dept. BTW, LOVE LOVE LOVE the email tags ISA, ISE came up with.